meta data for this page
If your internet connection shuts off suddenly, try to evaluate whether you have recently made changes to the devices or programmes that affect your internet connection. If there is no clear reason for the network outage, wait for a few minutes and try again. Also check the service bulletins of the university network: https://www.jyu.fi/digipalvelut/en/news/
Check whether you can get online
Open the internet browser and complete the connection attempts listed below. If you can use another internet browser, complete the same connection attempts with it/them.
- If you can access this page but some other page that was previously working no longer works, there is most likely a temporary problem with the internet.
- You can try to find the reason for the problem through the operator notifications.
- If the problem does not solve itself, submit a bug report and describe the situation through the Ask IT form.
https://www.jyu.fi/en (university website)
- If you can access the university website but no other web pages, there is probably a temporary problem in the university’s outward internet connection.
- The connection that goes onwards from the university goes through FUNET, so you can also try to find service advice from there.
- Follow the service bulletins of the university: https://www.jyu.fi/digipalvelut/en/news/
https://www.kortex.jyu.fi/en/index.shtml (the Soihtu registration server)
- If you cannot access the internet nor the university website but you can access the Kortex registration server, your registration is not valid or there is a temporary problem either in the university network or in Kortex network’s connection to the university network. If the problem does not solve itself, submit a bug report and describe the situation through the Ask IT form.
- https://22.214.171.124 (IP address of the Soihtu registration server)
- If this does not work, try https://192.168.176.4/rekisterointi/
- If you gain access to the Kortex registration server only with the IP address, the problem possibly lies within the name server of the Kortex network or your network settings. If the problem does not solve itself, submit a bug report and describe the situation through the Ask IT form.
Check whether your computer's internet connection works
If you cannot access the internet, check whether your computer’s internet connection works. Many operating systems include tools for troubleshooting.
If you use a router, check whether your computer can form a connection with the router
- If you cannot access the internet, check whether you can check the settings of your router. There are normally instructions for this in the router’s manual. Usually, the IP address of the router’s intranet, for example http://192.168.1.1 (the address varies depending on the device) is written in the internet browser.
- If you gain a connection to your router, try to work out the network settings of the router’s WAN / Internet port and evaluate whether they are in accordance with the instructions.
- If you cannot gain access to your router, there is a problem with either the connection between your computer and your router or with your router. If you have connected your computer to your router wirelessly, try to connect your computer to the router with a cable, if possible.
Check whether the registered device has a connection to the Soihtu network
- If you cannot access the internet, check whether your registered device has a connection to the Soihtu network.
- In your device, near the access point of the cable that comes from the junction box, there is, depending on the device, a signal light that, when on, signals that the device “communicates” with another device in the Soihtu network (the house switch in the equipment bay of the building).
- If your device is equipped with the aforementioned signal light but it is not currently on, the problem probably lies within the network cable, one of its interfaces or the junction box. If you do not locate a problem with the network cable after acquainting yourself with the network cable instructions, submit a bug report and describe the situation through the Ask IT form.
Check whether there are similar problems elsewhere
- Try to find out from your neighbours or from the Rentukka learning Space whether they have a similar network outage going on.
- If your neighbours share the problem and the problem does not solve itself quickly (within about half an hour), you should submit a bug report, e.g. with your phone’s internet connection, through the Ask IT form.
- If the neighbours do not have problems with the network connection and your connection does not return by itself, ask if you can try to connect your computer and cable to their junction box, or if one of your neighbours can try to connect their computer and network cable to your apartment’s junction box.
- If your computer does not work when connected to the neighbour’s junction box, or if your neighbour’s computer works when connected to your apartment’s junction box, the problem lies within your computer’s network settings. Acquaint yourself with the troubleshooting instructions of your computer and ask for help through the Ask IT form if needed.
- If your computer works in your neighbour’s junction box or your neighbour’s computer does not work in your junction box, submit a bug report and describe the situation through the Ask IT form.